Welcome to La Consolacion College Iriga City

History of La Consoalcion College Iriga City
(1949 - 2005)

Wars always leave scars to a nation and its people. World War II was one such war. It devastated the country not only physically but morally as well. After the ravages and the havoc of war, the country emerged dazed and confused. Everyone hankered for greener fields and brighter daybreaks. Hope was in the heart of the people – hope was in the heart of the Bicolanos.

It was in this light where our school – La Consolacion College formerly La Consolacion Academy – traces its beginning…. In 1949, Msgr. Pedro Santos, then the Archbishop of Caceres posed an invitation to the Congregation known as the Order of St. Augustine headed by Mother Carmen, the Mother General to establish a catholic school in Iriga, Camarines Sur. Then, establishing a catholic school was deemed necessary in order to enrich the education of the youth especially after the moral deterioration that was a consequence of World War II. The Parish Priest of Iriga during that time was Fr. Mariano Surtida. It was he who offered the Augustinian Sisters the present site of the school. The OSA Congregation in response to the invitation of the Archbishop and the Parish Priest and to answer the needs of the times eventually sent for Sor Concepcion to visit the place and assess the offer. Considering the situation highly feasible, a massive renovation started which the Parish Priest and his Co-adjutor – Fr. Leon Hugo spearheaded. Classes were opened in June 1949 with Sor Lourdes as the school’s first Superior and Directress. For that school year 1949-1950 a complete kindergarten and elementary course was offered. In fact, LCA produced its first batch of elementary graduates in 1950.

In order to accommodate the enrollees in the first year high school for the next school year, an additional classroom was built but even this was not enough. Through the efforts of Fr. Hugo, Sor Cristina and Sor Joaquina, the school’s first Parents-Teachers Association known as LACAPTA was organized. This association launched a fund-raising campaign and made possible the construction of a building.

Meantime, gradually the school’s population increased and by 1954, LCA turned out its first batch of exclusive female high school graduates. Since then, with Sor Esperanza Molina OSA, Sor Consolacion Alvarez, OSA and Sor Adelina Segismundo, OSA, as the varied school heads, the school year’s 1954-1955 to early 60’s were devoted to the improvement of the school’s physical structures and the acquisition of the basic school facilities and needs. Priority was placed on the purchase of laboratory and library materials and the provision of the HE lavatories and drinking fountains. These years also witnessed the active participation of the school to the prestigious BACS Meet and holding grandiose annual plays.

The school had its grand anniversary celebration in school year 1963-1964 to commemorate LCA’s 15th year. Sor Victorina de la Providencia’s term witnessed the beginning of the WAS and the majorettes. 1966-1967 and the immediate years that followed featured the victory of the Scouting Movement and the Drum and Bugle Corps in regional competitions. Furthermore to answer the immediate needs of Iriga for a private sectarian school for boys, LCA opened its doors for a co-educational setting in high school in the school year 1970-1971.

La Consolacion Academy celebrated its 25th year via a pompous Silver Jubilee Celebration in the school year 1973-1974. With Sister Esperanza Magana as School head, again the school through the Mr. and Miss Silver Jubilee launched a fund-raising drive.

School year 1974-1975 featured the start of such new programs as the LCA Credit Cooperatives, the Guidance Program and the CNC or the Christian Neighborhood Communities. With Sister Constancia Benares as the Schoolhead, LCA carved its name in the division and regional competitions on academics and literary-musical activities where both the public and the private schools merged under the New MECS structure. The years that followed under Sister Consolata Dalisay OSA and Sister Florina Lacuarta OSA witnessed the continuance of the new programs.

It was in the school year 1979-1980 with Sister Adelina Segismundo again as Schoolhead when the Parents Homeroom Organization began as distinguished from the previous years’ PTA. Organized by section, the parents’ initial response was highly encouraging. Symposia, recollections and parent-sponsored Parents’ Day were activities that enriched the regular meetings.

With Sister Ma. Celia Bayona OSA as Schoolhead, 1981-1982 featured the start of the Catholic School System Development Program or the CS-SD with Mr. Feliciano Jimenez as consultant. Aside from the development of persons and structures, the new programs main contribution was the Decentralization of Authority in school where for the time lay administrators and OIC’s were appointed to the school’s varied offices.

In answer to the ever-growing population, through a loan, the new concrete building was constructed just behind the templete in the school year 1983-1984. LCA likewise experienced its first external evaluation via the Congregational Evaluation Visit or CEV in February of 1984.

Given the signal to apply for external accreditation, LCA underwent a Pre-Survey by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities or PAASCU in the grade school and high school departments in March 1987.

Sister Ana Isabel Marcelo OSA acted as the Principal in school year 1987-1988. With Sister Edith Zerna OSA as school head in 1988-1989, the school celebrated its Ruby Anniversary – 40 years. Massive Fundraising drives were held to support the school’s on-going construction plan or its Physical Plant Development Program. Alongside this growth in physical structures was the school’s academic growth. In April 1991, the Grade School was granted its initial accreditation status by PAASCU while the High School followed suit in April 1992. With both the Grade School and the High School fully accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU), the school ventured on the opening of collegiate courses. In response to the city’s need for a private sectarian college, the following initial courses were offered in school year 1992-1993: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education, Bachelor of Science in Elementary Educatin.; two-year course in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Tourism and Computer Technology. Thus, in September 1992 from La Consolacion Academy, the school has become La Consolacion College. With Sister Editha Zerna OSA as schoolhead from 1989 to 1994, Phases II and III of the construction plan were completed.

In school year 1994-1995, Sister Esperanza Magana, OSA became President and Schoolhead. Answering the call for lay empowerment, the first Lay Principal for the Basic Education department – Dr. Gloria C. Pasco was appointed in the same school year. The school’s option for the poor was made more concrete with the opening of the Free High School fort he indigents. Meantime, alongside the school’s on-going construction were the PAASCU re-accreditation surveys. The Grade School was re-surveyed in January 1995 and was granted a five-year PAASCU re-accreditation status from 1995-2000. The High School had its re-survey in October 1996 and was given a five-year PAASCU re-accreditation status from 1997-2002. The school had its first college graduates in March 1995. With Sister Esperanza Magana as the School Head, Phase IV of the construction plan was completed and Phase V began.

In preparation for the school’s Golden Jubilee in 1999, LCC undertook some projects as the school’s gift to the community on its fiftieth (50th) year. It offered free pilinut seedlings for planting; tree planting at Maryhill Settlement in San Pedro, Iriga City; it adopted a new barangay – San Vicente Sur, Iriga City for its outreach program and a cooperative was formed in San Vicente Nabua, Camarines Sur. Moreover, free medical missions were conducted regularly and in April 1997 a free summer Nursery class began. The school likewise hosted seminars and workshops and multiple student encounters.

The school celebrated its Golden Jubilee in school year 1998-1999 with Sister Ma. Violeta Fulo OSA as the School Head. The weeklong celebration – February 1-5, 1999 had for its theme “LCC: A Living Legacy at 50…. Onward to the New Millennium!” The Grand Celebration featured a dawn procession, a grand Eucharistic celebration with Msgr. Leonardo Z. Legazpi, O.P.D.D. Archbishop of Caceres as celebrant, a blessing of the partly-completed Phase V of the Construction Plan, a testimonial luncheon and awarding of the school’s Golden Achievers, and alumni affair, a parents’ day, mass demonstrations, students encounter, parade and the coronation of the Golden Jubilee Muses and escorts.

School Year 1999-2000 featured the PAASCU Interim Visit on Faculty and Instruction in the Grade School – preparatory to its re-accreditation in the next school year. A peaceful collective bargaining agreement was made between the administrators and the LCC Employees Labor Union in October, 1999. Massive outreach activities were conducted to end the school’s Jubilee celebration meaningfully. School year 2000-2001 featured the start of the school’s Research and Development Office where the institution’s information, evaluation and research needs are centralized. In January, 2001, the Grade School Department underwent a second PAASCU Re-Survey and it was granted a five-year re-accreditation status (2001-2006). The same school year featured the completion of Phase V of the construction plan and finalization of the whole school’s Physical Plant Long-Range Development Program.

School year 2001-2002 had Sister Adelina Segismundo, OSA as the Schoolhead. With the eighteen-year (1983-2001) Physical Plant Development Program having just been completed, the school year feature massive enhancement of the school facilities. Significant acquisitions for the school year included - a high power electric generator, steel benches for the parents’ waiting area, at least thirty computer units and a rich library and laboratory holdings. The Mini Hotel as a practicum area for the Hotel and Restaurant Management (HRM) students and the school clinic has been especially furnished with modern equipments. This school year also featured a new college library, a college students’ lounge, a separate testing room, a new Alumni and Supreme Family Council Office, a Religion Center and several college classrooms. A concrete fence has likewise been erected by the side of the school building. Moreover, the school hosted the Regional Assembly of the Augustinian Youth Organization (AYO). The school’s Long-Range Program for the next development cycle 2001-2006 has likewise been prepared and the High School Department underwent and passed its second PAASCU Resurvey in February, 2002. In fact, it has been granted a five-year PAASCU Re-Accreditation Status effective 2002-2007.

School year 2002-2003 featured more acquisitions such as: a Powerpoint projector, Transformer units and the installation of a 24-unit Intercom. Canteen facilities have likewise been improved and a College Travel Office has been provided. The Alumni Association has likewise begun its scholarship program in college. The Supreme Family Council sponsored a Grand Family Day to cap the celebration of 2002 as the Year of the Family. Outreach Activities have included a Mass Baptism to the indigents and a thorough preparation for the probable re-opening of the Free High School. BEC sessions have been well attended to in all units of the school. Revisions and updating of the college curricula have been made. Furthermore, the personnel formation program has even included a Trip to Tagaytay for all the personnel.

With Sister Adelina Segismundo as schoolhead, schoolyear 2003-2004, marked the school’s Fifty-fifth Foundation Anniversary (1949-2004). The Emerald Celebration was capped with a cultural presentation held at the newly renovated St. Augustine’s Auditorium. The cultural show featured the school’s development over the years and the causes for the beatification of Mother Consueló Barcelo y Pagés. The schoolyear further featured the re-opening of the Free High School where a group of thirty-three (33) students were accepted in First Year High School. The High School and Grade School bagged the championship at the First Regional Assembly and Sports and Cultural Competition among the Bicol ASAS Schools held in Baao, Camarines Sur. On the other hand, the Grade School submitted their Grade School Accreditation Interim Report to the PAASCU main office Manila. The college department featured the revision of the College Student’s Handbook and the publication of the maiden issue of the LCC Research Journal. The school personnel had the chance to spend their annual retreat at the Capuchin Retreat House in Lipa City. In April, 2004 La Consolacion College hosted the National Annual Assembly of the Lay Augustinian Associates. Furthermore, the school administrators and the officials of the LCC Employees Labor Union had an amicable Collective Bargaining Agreement in May, 2004. Major purchases for the year include – a new sound system; new lighting system; and 4 units of 5-tonner Carrier air-conditioning units for the auditorium. Fume hoods have been installed at the Mini Hotel. Moreover, movable TV sets have been provided for student-use and for the guest room. Internet Access to Infocom has been installed. Book purchases and office equipments have been acquired; thirty-five (35) new computer units and gas ranges for the HE and the Mini Hotel were likewise acquired.

Despite the odds, La Consolacion College is definitely a living legacy at fifty-five (55). The school’s graduates attest to her strength and might. She feels undaunted by the challenges of the new millennium for LCC is not just a structure…. It is not just an institution…. it is you and I….it is We. Let us all move forward to the New Millenium.

Schoolyear 2004-2005 with Sister Adelina H. Segismundo, OSA as Schoolhead featured the following notable achievements: In July, 2004 the school was officially accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Bureau of Immigration to admit foreign students. Application papers for PAASCU accreditation of the colleges of Computer Science, Tourism and Teacher-Education were submitted in October 2004. The Student Handbooks of the Grade School and High School were revised and updated. Computer subject was incorporated in the Kindergarten I and II programs and a well-furnished computer laboratory room for the pupils’ use was likewise provided. Furthermore, the school opened its Internet Center for use of students, parents and alumni. Moreover the school hosted the following regional and national assemblies: The Augustinian Lay Affiliates National Assembly in May, 2004; the ASAS-Bicol Sportsfest and Literary-Musical Presentations in October, 2004 and the Association of Schools of the Augustinian Sisters (ASAS) General Assembly in April, 2005.